Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Track consists of four didactic courses and three clinical courses. Each clinical course will consists of 180 clinical hours to be completed in the setting of your choice with a qualified Psychiatrist or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. The facility must have a current Memorandum of Understanding with Georgia Southern University. As part of our program offerings, students will be educated employing psychiatric-mental simulations and telehealth technologies. While this is an online program, there will be two on campus learning days each semester, as well as an on campus Graduate Intensive.
Graduate Intensive Dates
|Academic Year||Graduate Intensive Dates||Location
|2017-2018||May 7, 2018 through May 10, 2018||Statesboro campus
What Can I Do With This Degree?
Completion of the track will allow students to take the certification exam to become a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP). PMHNPs are advanced practice registered nurse specialists who assess and diagnose mental health conditions, and who offer treatment by means of psychotherapeutic and pharmacotherapeutic interventions. PMHNPs work in clinical settings that include private, state or Veterans Administration in-patient or outpatient psychiatric facilities, private psychiatric practices, and community mental health centers. PMHMPs also provide services in settings such as correctional facilities, domestic violence shelters, residential substance abuse facilities, and schools. These practitioners are in high demand, and the University receives frequent inquires about graduates.
Why Georgia Southern?
- Georgia Southern University is nationally recognized as a top 100 nursing program.
- New academic-clinical partnerships: Our partnerships with clinical agencies providing psychiatric/mental health services allow placement of students for clinical practicum.
- Qualified preceptors: Our partnerships with professionals in the mental health field provide clinical supervision as they treat and care for the full range of PMH diagnoses and conditions in team-based care.
- Eligible for National Certification: Each APRN graduate will be eligible to take the exam for national certification as a PMHNP across the lifespan.
- AACN Accredited: The (baccalaureate degree in nursing/master’s degree in nursing/Doctor of Nursing Practice and/or post-graduate APRN certificate) at Georgia Southern University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation).
Last updated: 2/1/2018