IPHCC – Competencies and Frameworks
Canadian Interprofessional Health Collaborative
Canada: Canadian Interprofessional Health Collaborative (2010). A National Interprofessional Competency Framework. Univeristy of British Columbia, Vancouver BC. View the competencies document here.
Interprofessional Education Collaborative Expert Panel
United States: Interprofessional Education Collaborative Expert Panel (2011). Core competencies for interprofessional collaborative practice: Report of an expert panel. Washington, D.C.: Interprofessional Education Collaborative.
Values/ Ethics in Interprofessional Education
- D’Amour, D & Oandasan, I (2005). Interprofessionality as the field of interprofessional practice and interprofessional education: An emerging concept. Journal of Interprofessional Care. May. S1, 8-20. PMID:16096142
- Jensen GM, Royeen CB, Purtilo RB. Interprofessional ethics in rehabilitation: The dreamcatcher journey. Journal of Allied Health 39(3): 246-250, 2010.
Codes of Ethics
- Clinical Lab Sciences- American Society of Clinical Lab Science
- Dentistry- American Dental Association
- Dental Hygiene- American Dental Hygienist’s Association
- Health Administrator- American College of Health Association
- Medicine- American Medical Association
- Nursing- American Nurses Association International Council of Nurses
- Occupational Therapy- American Occupational Therapy Association
- Pharmacy- American Pharmacists Association
- Pharmacy Technician- American Association of Pharmacy Technicians
- Physical Therapy- American Physical Therapy Association
- Public Health- American Public Health Association
- Psychologist- Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct
- Veterinary Science- American Veterinary Medical Association
Roles and Responsibilities
- Baxter SK, Brumfitt SM. Professional differences in interprofessional working. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2008; 22(3): 239-51. PMID:18569411
- Dagnone JD, McGraw RC, et al. Interprofessional resuscitation rounds: a teamwork approach to ACLS education. Med Teach. 2008; 30(2): e49-54. PMID:18464132
- Hallin K, Kiessling A, et al. Active interprofessional education in a patient based setting increases perceived collaborative and professional competence. Med Teach. 2009; 1-7. PMID:21182370
- Lumague, M, Morgan, A, Mak, D, Hanna, M, Kwong, J, Cameron, C, Zener, D & Sinclair, L. Interprofessional education: the student perspective. 2006. Journal of Interprofessional Care. Jun;20(3):246-53. PMID:16777792
- Brown, J, Lewis, L, Ellis, K, Stewart, M, Thomas R. Freeman, TR & Kasperski, MJ. Conflict on interprofessional primary health care teams – can it be resolved? (2011). Journal of Interprofessional Care, 25: 4–10. PMID:20795830
- Maxfield, D., Grenny, J., Lavandero, R., & Groah, L. (2011). The silent treatment: Why safety tools and checklists aren’t enough to save lives. Retrieved from Vital Smarts, The Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, and The American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
- Suter, E., Arndt, J., Arthur, N., Parboosingh, J., Taylor, E., & Deutschlander, S. (2009). Role understanding and effective communication as core competencies for collaborative practice. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 23, 41-51. PMID:19142782
- Barrett, J, Gifford, C, & Morey, J, Risser, D, & Salisbury, M (2001). Enhancing patient safety through teamwork training. Healthcare Risk Management, 21(4), 57-65. PMID:11729499
- Fitzgerald A, Davison G. Innovative health care delivery teams: learning to be a team player is as important as learning other specialized skills. J Health Organ Manag. 2008; 22(2): 129-46. PMID:18700524
- Guise JM, Deering SH, Kanki BG, Osterweil P, Li H, Mori M, & Lowe, NK. (2008). Validation of a tool to measure clinical teamwork. Simulation in Healthcare. 2008; 3:217–223. PMID:19088666
- Hamilton SS, Yuan BJ, Lachman, N, Hellyer, NJ, Krause, DA, Holllman, JH, Youdas, JW, & Pawlina, W. Interprofessional education in gross anatomy: experience with first-year medical and physical therapy students at Mayo Clinic. Anat Sci Educ. 2008; 1(6): 258-63. PMID:19109855
- Hammick M, Olckers L, et al. (2009). Learning in interprofessional teams: AMEE Guide no 38 Medical Teacher. 2009; 31(1): 1-12. PMID:19253148
- Mindtools.com (2011). Forming, storming, norming and performing: Understanding the Stages of Team Formation
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) (2009). TeamSTEPPS: National Implementation. Retrieved from Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Last updated: 6/17/2020