Medical Laboratory Science
*located on the Armstrong campus
We invite you to discover the exciting field of medical laboratory science. The Medical Laboratory Science program at Georgia Southern University is the largest in the state of Georgia, and our graduates have a very successful record of Board Certification.
Medical laboratory scientists (also known as medical technologists) provide essential clinical information to healthcare providers and are responsible for assuring reliable results that contribute to the prevention, diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of physiological and pathological conditions. Laboratory tests are extremely valuable and contribute up to 70% of all medical decisions made by healthcare providers. Medical Laboratory Scientists perform and/or supervise the testing of blood, urine, spinal fluid and other body specimens. Applying knowledge of chemistry, mathematics and biology, the medical laboratory scientist uses both manual and automated techniques to provide diagnostic data to physicians.
The Georgia Southern University Medical Laboratory Science program offers three track options for prospective students.
- The Medical Laboratory Science Traditional Track Program
- The Medical Laboratory Science Online Career Ladder
- Prospective students must meet the following criteria to be considered for this program:
- ASCP Certified
- Employed in the MLT field
- The Medical Laboratory Science Fast Track-
- Prospective Students must meet the following criteria to be considered for this program:
- Have a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences or Chemical Sciences and be employed at an approved clinical/hospital site
- Have a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences or Chemical Sciences and be a South Carolina resident-we will provide potential clinical sites
Applications for the Fall 2020 cohort will open November 15, 2019 and close March 1, 2020. Admission to the program is open until all seats are filled.You may only apply to one program and there is a $95.00 application fee. If you apply to more than one program, the application with the earliest time and date will be the one that you will be considered for. If you apply to a second program, you will be charged an extra $95.00 fee that is non-refundable. Only apply if you will have all your prerequisites completed by the end of Summer 2020. If you would like to view and apply to the program, please click on the link below: https://ahcas.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login
Last updated: 11/19/2019