Become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Make an impact and help others lead a healthful life!
The 5 steps to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist are described by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
To become a registered dietitian nutritionist, a path of higher education is a must as well as a dietetic internship from an ACEND-accredited program, and passing the national registration examination. The exam requirements are set by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
The Georgia Southern University Didactic Program in Dietetics provides you the opportunity to complete the required ACEND-accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics and Bachelor’s degree and receive a verification statement indicating this completion. (Step 1 in the 5 step process outlined below).
The 5 Steps:
- Complete a bachelor’s degree and receive a verification statement from an Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)-accredited program (Didactic Program in Dietetics) Note, effective January 1, 2024, a graduate degree will be required to be eligible to take the Commission on Dietetic Registration Exam.
- Complete an ACEND-accredited supervised practice dietetic internship program or Individual Supervised Practice Pathway of at least 1200 hours. Supervised practice/experiential learning can also be combined with the coursework in options such as: Coordinated Program, Future Graduate Program, and International Dietitian Education Program.
- Pass the Commission on Dietetic Registration’s dietetic registration exam
- Gain licensure in your state of practice. In the State of Georgia, and in many other states, you must hold a valid license issued by the Georgia Board of Examiners of Licensed dietitians in order to practice dietetics. For more information on Licensure for Registered Dietitians in the State of Georgia, visit https://www.eatrightpro.org/about-us/become-an-rdn-or-dtr/high-school-students/5-steps-to-become-a-registered-dietitian-nutritionist.
- Maintain continuing education.
Last updated: 2/22/2022