Gerontology Graduate Certificate
Format: In person at Armstrong Campus
The Gerontology Certificate program is designed to meet the following objectives:
- Students are presented with a theoretical and practical overview of the field of gerontology. The interdisciplinary nature of gerontology is emphasized.
- Students will have supervised experience with older adults in the form of community service, projects or practicum experiences. It is expected that students will respond to older adults as unique, independent individuals.
- Students will be exposed to gerontological research and major public policy issues as well as how these impact aged adults.
Program of Study
- GERO 5500 Survey of Gerontology
- GERO 5510 Healthy Aging
- GERO 5520 Gerontology Practicum
- A minimum of nine semester hours of courses at the 5000 level or higher:
Students eligible for admittance into the Gerontology Certificate program include:
- Regularly admitted undergraduate students with a 2.5 GPA or better
- Regularly admitted or nondegree graduate students
All applicants must complete the Application for Admission and return it to the Department of Health Sciences and Kinesiology. Upon receipt of the application, the applicant will be invited to meet with the program coordinator to discuss the proposed program of study.
Eligibility for enrollment in the Gerontology Certificate Program:
- Non-Degree or regularly admitted graduate students.
Students interested in the Gerontology Certificate program must complete”
- All application forms required for admission to Georgia Southern University:
- Georgia Southern University graduate application
- Gerontology Certificate application (sent to the Department of Health Sciences and Kinesiology)
- Interview with the Gerontology Certificate program coordinator
A minimum overall GPA of “C” or better must be earned for the certificate to be awarded at the undergraduate level. A minimum overall GPA of “B” or better must be earned for the certificate to be awarded at the graduate level.
Department of Health Sciences and Kinesiology
Last updated: 1/8/2021