Vision & Mission
The graduate Sport and Exercise Psychology Program at seeks to maintain its status an elite academic program focusing on the interdisciplinary study of applied sport and exercise psychology. The program promotes ethical graduate education mentorship, scholarship, research and grant procurement, applied experience in sport and exercise psychology, and a commitment to professional and public service.
To this end, the sport and exercise psychology program at Georgia Southern University is characterized by:
- Student preparation for future excellence through interdependent leadership, innovation, and service. Future excellence may be at the applied doctoral level or an applied position within the sport and exercise psychology discipline including life skills development, mental skills training, or health behavior change consultations.
- Diverse faculty and staff who are internationally acclaimed, use emerging technology, are innovative with curriculum, produce grants and scholarly manuscripts, are socially and morally responsible, and have a genuine regard for the well-being and training of graduate students.
- Community partnerships and applied sport and exercise psychology and life skills experiences to enhance performance and human well-being.
- An environment that promotes academic distinction, high expectations, and intellectual engagement through student centered research and learning initiatives, faculty research collaboration, and technological advancement.
- A clearly focused and valued purpose.
The mission of the Sport and Exercise Psychology program is to provide initiative which will lead the program towards the Vision.
This will be accomplished by:
- Creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge in the discipline.
- Applying theory through applied service provision.
- Providing support to the mission of the School, College, and University.
- Providing mentorship and advisement to students within the program.
- Providing opportunities for student-centered research and learning initiatives within the sport and exercise psychology discipline.
- Emphasizing the importance of student-faculty research collaboration.
- Offering state of the art laboratory and research facilities.
- Providing a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum aligned with the Association for Applied Sport Psychology requirements for Certification.
- Providing access to and education on the use of emerging technology.
- Encouraging creative approaches to reach educational goals.
- Providing resources and guidance for grant writing, research and scholarly writing.
- Marketing faculty and student expertise.
- Respecting the diversity of thought, expression and being.
- Making students the priority in decisions that benefit their education.
- Providing opportunities for student-faculty interaction.
- Providing opportunities for outstanding student achievement.
- Providing community service which focuses on the science and practice of sport and exercise psychology.
- Providing the opportunity for students to tailor their program of study to meet specific interests.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with local, national, and international partners.
Last updated: 8/30/2022