Athletic Training Prospective Students
Students must complete a formal application to be admitted into the Georgia Southern University Athletic Training program (ATP). This application traditionally takes place in the spring of the freshman year. In order to apply, students must meet the following minimum requirements:
PROGRAM ADMISSION CRITERIA
Athletic training major applicants must meet the University entrance requirements as described in the University General Catalog. All applicants must apply for admission to both the University and the athletic training major. Once admitted to the University, students should contact the Student Services Center for advisement. In order to be considered for admission into the Athletic Training program, applicants must have met the following minimum requirements by April 1st each year.
- Attained admission to Georgia Southern University.
- Possess a total institution GPA of 2.75 or better on all coursework attempted (both transfer coursework and work completed at Georgia Southern University are considered).
- Completed a minimum of 15 semester hours, and enrolled in at least 12 semester hours during the time of application. Total hours must reflect at least 4 hours completed from Area D and/or F.
- Attained a minimum grade of “C” in all Area D and Area F coursework attempted.
- Completed, by the deadline, an Application Package that includes the following:
- A completed Application Form.
- Copies of college transcripts for all work completed to date.
- Blood borne pathogen training. Contact athletic training faculty for information regarding the training session.
- Documented observation hours in an approved athletic training room environment. These hours must be documented and signed by a certified athletic trainer. These hours must have been accrued within the last year.
- A one page, double-spaced, typed, writing sample addressing the following: the single most important attribute for an effective allied health care provider; personal traits or attributes you possess which will allow you to become an effective allied health care provider.
- Three letters of recommendations
Letters of Recommendation Form
- Completed a personal interview with the Athletic Training Admission Committee.
UPON FORMAL ACCEPTANCE INTO THE PROGRAM:
Students must show proof of the following documents:
- Proof of CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid Responding to Emergencies Certification.
- Record of annual physical.
- Record of immunizations.
- Technical standards signed.
- Student liability insurance.
- Health insurance.
- Background check.
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET FOR STUDENT PROGRESSION IN THE PROGRAM:
- Students must maintain a total institution GPA of 2.50 or better on all coursework.
- Students must successfully complete all clinical field experiences related to course content and objectives.
- Students must adhere to the ATEP dress code.
- Students must provide their own transportation for off-campus experiences.
- Students must not have been found in violation of the Georgia Southern Student Conduct Code. Students found in violation of the Student Conduct code may, depending upon the seriousness of the violation, be placed on program probation or dismissed from the program.
- Students must not violate the NATA Code of Ethics for practicing athletic trainers. Students found in violation of the Code of Ethics will be dismissed from the program.
OTHER PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
Students are responsible for:
- Transportation for off-campus clinical sites.
- The purchase of their uniforms.
- The cost of a background check.
- Maintaining personal health and liability insurance.
- Additional expenses may include the cost of professional dues and the Board of Certification Examination.
TRANSFER STUDENT ADMISSION INTO THE ATHLETIC TRAINING MAJOR:
Prospective students who wish to transfer to Georgia Southern University and pursue a degree in Athletic Training must apply for the program and submit to the same selection process as other candidates. Please refer to the application for prerequisites. Acceptance of transfer prerequisites or regular coursework is subject to the approval of the Registrar’s office and the Program Director pending review of content (syllabus, course description, etc.). Other courses may be counted toward the degree requirements for Athletic Training; however, every student must take the following courses at Georgia Southern University in order to receive a degree in Athletic Training:
KINS 2321 – Clinical Skills in Athletic Training I (2)
KINS 2322 – Clinical Skills in Athletic Training II (2)
KINS 3131 – Biophysical Foundations of Movement (3)
KINS 3321 – Clinical Application in Athletic Training I (2)
KINS 3322 – Clinical Application in Athletic Training II (2)
KINS 3330 – Prevention of Athletic Injury and Illness (3)
KINS 3331 – Path/Care of Athletic Injury and Illness (3)
KINS 4330 – Evaluation of Lower Extremity Injury (3)
KINS 4331 – Evaluation of Upper Extremity Injury (3)
KINS 4332 – Therapeutic Modalities in Athletic Training (3)
KINS 4333 – Therapeutic Exercise and Rehabilitation (3)
KINS 4334 – General Medical and Pharmacological Issues (3)
KINS 4618 – Senior Seminar in Athletic Training (1)
KINS 4721 – Clinical Practicum in Athletic Training I (2)
KINS 4722 – Clinical Practicum in Athletic Training II (2)
Clinical experiences obtained outside of Georgia Southern University Athletic Training Program will not be accepted.
ATP Application Packet
Last updated: 1/8/2018