*located on the Armstrong Campus
Did you know that careers in the aging are going to be among the next big things in the 21st century workplace? Americans are living longer and represent diversity in needs and interests. The aging population will make up over 60 percent of the U.S. population by the year 2030. Gerontology, the study of the processes of aging and older adults, prepares individuals to understand what to expect and how to prepare for their own aging and to assist those who are close to them who are increasingly ill or frail.
The mission of the Bachelor of Health Science Concentration in Gerontology program is to prepare future health professionals to develop new perspectives to improve the quality of life for an increasingly important segment of our population. By providing excellent undergraduate instruction, supervised experience with the aging population in the form of community service, or practicum in clinical settings, and research, the program strives to graduate students who are knowledgeable of the interdisciplinary field of gerontology and are critical thinkers. This mission aligns with the university, college, and department missions of educating and preparing students to serve diverse populations.
- An interdisciplinary field of study that examine the biological, the psychological, the social, the economic factors and dimensions that make up the aging experiences of individuals as well as how the “aging population” affects the way we organize in various societies.
- Students are presented with a theoretical and practical overview of the field of gerontology.
- Students will have supervised experience in a clinical setting with older adults in the form of community service, projects and practicum experiences.
- Students will be exposed to gerontological research and major public policy as well as how these impact aged adults.
- Program consists of a total of 124 credit hours.
- Aging Services Administrator
- Elder Law
- Fitness Trainer
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Nutrition Counseling
- Health Educator
- Clinical Social Worker
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech and Language Pathology
Gerontology Practicum Guidelines
Gerontology Practicum Documents
Last updated: 4/17/2020