Thank you for your interest in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program at Georgia Southern University.
All applicants must apply for admission to both the university and the School of Nursing. Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to the School of Nursing. Requirements for admission to the university and additional information may be found in the University General Catalog.
Applications for admission to the university are obtained from the Office of Admissions.
Admission to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program is competitive and is based on requirements in place at the time of application to the BSN program. In order to be considered for the BSN program for the fall/spring admission cycle, applicants must have met the following admission criteria:
- Admission to Georgia Southern University. All transfer credits must be evaluated by the Registrar’s office and posted on the Georgia Southern transcript upon official acceptance to the University
- Must be able to meet the Core Performance Standards
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Must achieve a cumulative score of at least 75% on the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam that includes the following subject areas: Anatomy & Physiology, Grammar, Math, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge, within the last year.
- Successful completion of 54 semester hours in appropriate core courses prior to admission
- A grade of C or higher is required for Core Areas A, D, and F courses
- Completed 12 hours of the 20 hours of required lab science coursework with a minimum grade of “C” in both the lab and didactic portions of each course
- Sciences in Area F must have been completed within the past 5 years and with a grade of C or higher
- Repeating more than one course (didactic) or repeating one course (didactic) more than once in Areas A or D or F (thus 2 failures in one area) to earn a passing grade of C or better, makes the student ineligible for admission. For the post Baccalaureate student, this applies to area F.
- Students admitted to the nursing major must maintain a minimum overall 3.0 GPA and a minimum grade of “C” in all area A, D and F courses prior to beginning the first nursing course
- Students with outstanding admission requirements must provide proof of meeting the requirements to the School secretary before the beginning of the admitted semester. Failure to do so will result in denial of admission
- Complete the School of Nursing BSN application
*Students please take note: KINS 2533 Pathophysiology is listed as an Area F course which is required to be completed or in progress at the time of application/acceptance.
Complete List of Application Materials:
- Complete the online BSN application
- Upload official copy of your HESI A2 Exams
- Upload an unofficial copy of your college and/or university transcript of all courses taken
Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the nursing major. Those applicants who present the strongest application based on admission criteria will be accepted.
Transfer Student Information
Transfer applicants, and applicants with degrees in other disciplines, must meet the criteria for admission to the nursing major. Credit for transfer courses will be granted if course equivalency is determined. Faculty make course equivalency decisions based on a review of materials provided by the transfer student including course syllabi, a course description and content outline.
- Transcripts are evaluated by the Office of Admissions after you apply and have been accepted as a student at Georgia Southern University.
- In order to be advised, you must be admitted to the University and attend a session of Southern’s Orientation, Advisement and Registration (SOAR).
- Please review the materials on the School of Nursing website nursing/programs, specifically the BSN program map.
- You can use the Transfer Equivalency Tool to see how courses from your current institution equate to Georgia Southern courses.
- Check the status of your application
- Check to see if your courses are equivalent to Georgia Southern University courses
Requirements Prior to Enrollment in Nursing Courses
- Maintained a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Earned a grade of “C” or better in Area A, D, and F courses
- Meet School of Nursing clinical course requirements, including: (a) health history and physical examination; (b) essential performance standards for nursing practice; (c) immunization requirements including measles, rubella, varicella, hepatitis B, Tdap, and seasonal flu; (d) tuberculosis screening; (e) current BLS for Healthcare Providers certification; and (g) personal health insurance
- Participated in a School of Nursing orientation session
*These requirements are subject to revisions.
|Fall Admission||Applications are open from January 1- February 8|
|Spring Admission||Applications are open from August 1-September 8|
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees charged by Georgia Southern University are approved by the University System of Georgia annually. Changes in tuition and fee rates are typically effective fall semester each year. The tuition and fees listed on the links below provide an estimate of tuition, fees, housing, meals, books and supplies.
Last updated: 8/4/2021