Nursing Advanced Placement Track LPN/LVN-BSN Overview & Admissions
The School of Nursing offers an innovative program, the Advanced Placement Track, whereby the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is eligible to earn college credit for education advancement. The faculty recognize that LPNs have knowledge and skills which support the opportunity for advanced placement.
- Complete a Georgia Southern University application and be accepted into the University. (Student must be accepted into the University prior to being accepted into the program.)
- An unencumbered GA LPN license
- Must be able to meet the Core Performance Standards
- Complete 54 semester hours of core curriculum to include all areas A, D, and F.
- A grade of C or higher is required for areas A, D, and F courses. Repeating any course in areas A, D, and F in order to achieve a passing grade of at least a C, reduces the student’s chance for admission to the School of Nursing. Repeating more than one course in each (area A, D, and F) to earn a passing grade of at least C makes the student ineligible for admission to nursing.
- Area F science course credits may not have been earned longer than 5 years before the time of application.
- All applicants must achieve a cumulative score of at least 75 percent on the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam in the following areas: Anatomy and Physiology, Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, General Knowledge, and Math within the last year.
- An overall GPA of 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale) in all courses
In order to be considered for the BSN Program for the Fall/Spring admission cycle, applicants must have met regular admission requirements before the application deadlines. Applicants must meet all current BSN admission criteria and follow the same application process. All applicants must apply for admission to both the University and the School of Nursing. Admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the School of Nursing.
|Fall 2020||Applications are open from January 6, 2020 until February 3, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
Complete a BSN Application
Students have the opportunity to challenge by examination a total of 23 hours of nursing course credit.
After admission to Georgia Southern University, the student will make an appointment with their academic advisor. The student will need to bring any previous higher education transcripts to the advisement appointment. The student’s transcript will be evaluated and must meet the following requirements to be eligible for admission to the BSN program:
The LPN-BSN student will have the opportunity to challenge up to four nursing courses (NURS 3101: Skills and Essentials of Nursing Practice, NURS 3107: Adult Health Nursing I, NURS 3108: Mental Health Nursing, NURS 4109: Women’s and Children’s Nursing) for a total of 23 credit hours. Upon acceptance into the Nursing program, the student must meet with their program director to review challenge options. Students must meet all of the legal requirements for licensure.
LPN-BSN students wishing to earn credit by proficiency examination should request a meeting with the LPN-BSN program director immediately after admission to the prelicensure program to discuss eligibility. Permission to earn proficiency credit is granted on an individual basis.
Tuition and Fees
Last updated: 7/31/2019