Nursing & Service Learning: Costa Rica
Study in Costa Rica!
Wouldn’t you rather take one of your nursing courses or an elective while having the adventure of a lifetime in one of the world’s most beautiful and fascinating countries? This two-week study abroad program integrates theory on health and culture with service learning to provide students a deeper and more meaningful study abroad experience using Costa Rica as the model country. Students apply theoretical concepts through cultural immersion and service‐learning settings in underserved communities and vulnerable populations. Students examine their lived experience and understanding of health and culture through lectures, interaction with community leaders, host families, sites visits and community settings. Excursions, organized activities and visits to cultural and historical sites are part of the course. This undergraduate study abroad program is open to pre‐nursing, nursing and all other majors. Three (3) credit hours can be applied towards a nursing major elective or Area B –Study Abroad
Total Program Fees: TBA
- 10 days stay in Costa Rica
- In-country transportation to and from airport and road trips
- Accommodation and meals (breakfast and dinner)
- Not included in program fees – Georgia Southern tuition and fees (3 credits), airfare from place of origination, souvenirs and spending money
- 24/7 in-country program coordinator/guide
- Entry fees and transportation to historical and cultural sites
- Service activities in two designated underserved communities
- Purchase early for a reasonable price to San Jose (Costa Rica)
- Recommended airline for program: Delta Airlines. Arrive by 12 noon in San Jose, Costa Rica (required).
NURS 4115-Nursing and Service Learning in Costa Rica
No active application at this time
Students from universities or colleges in the University System of Georgia may enroll in the program. These students must apply to Georgia Southern University as transient students to receive credit at their home institutions. Application to the program and admission to Georgia Southern University are two separate processes and students must plan accordingly to begin the process early. An online application is available through the Georgia Southern University Office of Admissions.
All participants will need a valid passport to enter Costa Rica. Up-to-date medical and immunization records are highly recommended. No special vaccinations are required for travel.
Marian Tabi, Ph.D., MPH, RN
Office: Nursing/Chemistry Bldg. Room 3030
Last updated: 2/21/2023